Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Trail food

I need to find better trail food to eat, food I eat during the hike rather than before or after. I'm in a rut now and find I don't eat enough during the hike. Of course like many adult Americans, losing some weight would be good but I would do better by eating adequately during the hike rather than over-eating after the hike because I'm famished.

I usually eat dried fruit and nuts, candy bars, and Wild Berry Power Bars as snacks. For lunch I eat jerky, snack cheese, crackers or rolls, and an apple. I like this and it is simple but it gets boring and I often don't take in enough calories to maintain energy while hiking. I've tried sandwiches but I have not found any that I like well enough to eat often and that are safe in my pack in warm weather. I have tried a number of other nutrition, granola, and breakfast bars and find I get tired of them quickly. I used to make my own Logan bread and a dense, calorie rich sweet bread but they got old also. Unfortunately, most of the food I eat when I'm not hiking doesn't keep well and would be dangerous to pack in warm weather. About the only ideas I have now are to try to vary the basic items and just eat more or more often.