Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Trailhead parking - Recreation Passes

In my area, most trailheads require a Recreation Pass (various titles over the years) to park within 1/2 mile. When this first occurred, I was unhappy. Of course I didn't like a fee for something which had previously been free. Also, my perception was that supporting logging, mining, and grazing cost the Forest Service or BLM more and did more damage than hikers. Now I am less sure what I think. Trails which had not been maintained in years, making them effectively unusable were logged out and repaired. Toliets appeared at some trailheads. Combining the permits into one pass, the Golden Eagle, also helped, less hassle, less cost.

Popular trails around Seattle are heavily used, causing increased trail damage. Because of the wet climate and frequent wind storms, trails need logging out and bridges and culverts need repairs. Someone has to pay the costs and it should, in my opinion, be those who use the trails. There are groups locally who maintain trails, most noteably the Washington Trails Association but they cannot work all the trails even close to Seattle. An annual Northwest Forest Pass costs $30 and if people cannot afford one there are usually other options, such as parking more than 1/2 mile from the trailhead or using trails that do not require a pass or going on the free days.